Re: [dwm] visibility of focused windows

From: Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 15:45:35 +0100

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:47:16PM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> On 3/5/08, Joerg van den Hoff <j.van_den_hoff_AT_fzd.de> wrote:
> > but that was not my point. sorry, if I have not been clear
> > enough: I really mean the old 'mod1-m' functionality in the
> > tiled layout: toggle maximization status of the focused
> > window. this is still desirable, despite availability of
> > "monocle", I'd say: maximize a _single_ window, do something
> > and shrink it back to its position in the tiling. it depends
> > on circumstances whether this is more (or less) suitable
> > than "monocle". I personally think a "maximize window"
> > option should always be available in addition to "maximize
> > all" (a.k.a. monocle).
>
> can you please describe a common scenario when the two is different?
>
> (eg if you only want a quick maximize+revert then it can be achieved
> by toggling layout between monocle and tile)

the latter might be true (I'm right now running good old 4.7 again, need
to check). does the toggling between monocle and tile always restore
the original tiling irrespective of which window is focused when the
toggle to monocle (or tile) occurs? if yes, you are right (except that
you can't really toggle between the two, rather you cycle through all
three layouts at the moment, or, if anselm inserts the new key-bindings,
you've explicitly to choose the alternate layouts via different keys--
changing this would again mean to create a custom patch to really
toggle, e.g. with mod1-m, between these two). otherwise the tiling
could look different each time you come back to it. and that would definitely
not be nice. so I like to have a quick maximize of a single window in the tile
and then going back to an (invariant) tiled arrangement.