Re: [dwm] a lone client could be borderless

From: Don Stewart <dons_AT_galois.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 14:53:10 -0700

vamosaverlas:

> > Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 19:49:18 +0100
> > From: nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com
> > To: dwm_AT_suckless.org
> > Subject: Re: [dwm] a lone client could be borderless
> >
> > On 3/21/08, markus schnalke wrote:
> >> But anyway, special corner case handling leads to bad code. It
> >> conflicts with generality, which is one of the design principles.
>
> I understand. My principle would be "the border only appears when needed".

for what its worth, we had to tackle this too in xmonad, which now has
an extension, 'smart borders', that tries to apply this rule. given any
layout, it uses some heuristics to hide the border of windows in that
layout (its a layout modifier, basically)

    http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-NoBorders.html

so any layout, with a single client, or a fullscreen client, or a
floating window at fullscreen, etc.

for the xinerama case, its a bit tricky: you sometimes need the border
to decide which screen has focus.

-- Don