Re: [dwm] snapping bugs with multiple screens

From: John Li <jli_AT_circularly.org>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 16:53:31 -0400

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 04:12:42PM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

> Right, I propose to get rid of snapping at all. Does anyone uses
> snapping at all?

I do. But I actually think a far better solution to the "get this
floating window to the edge of the screen easily" is what yiyus(?) said
early on (or at least, what I think he meant). If you simply prevent a
window from being able to go past the edges of the screen, then it
becomes extremely simple to move a window to the very edge, because of
Fitts' Law[1][2].

Having to use the mouse a lot can suck, but following Fitts' Law makes
it suck /significantly/ less, in my opinion. It might seem like it'd be
bad to not be able to move a window partially off-screen, but I don't
think I've ever intentionally meant to do so. The WindowLab wm[3] has
this feature, among many other interesting mouse-based behaviors. Using
it for a while a few days ago, I found this feature in particularly to
be very nice.

being monitor borders - but doesn't s{x,y,w,h} give those to you, or did
I misunderstand?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts'_law
[2] http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html
[3] http://nickgravgaard.com/windowlab/