Re: [dwm] snapping bugs with multiple screens

From: John A. Grahor <jag_AT_techma.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 17:57:37 -0400

>> > Right, I propose to get rid of snapping at all. Does anyone uses
>> > snapping at all?
>
> I do. But I actually think a far better solution to the "get this
> floating window to the edge of the screen easily" is what yiyus(?) said
> early on (or at least, what I think he meant). If you simply prevent a
> window from being able to go past the edges of the screen, then it
> becomes extremely simple to move a window to the very edge, because of
> Fitts' Law[1][2].
>
> Having to use the mouse a lot can suck, but following Fitts' Law makes
> it suck /significantly/ less, in my opinion. It might seem like it'd be
> bad to not be able to move a window partially off-screen, but I don't
> think I've ever intentionally meant to do so. The WindowLab wm[3] has
> this feature, among many other interesting mouse-based behaviors. Using
> it for a while a few days ago, I found this feature in particularly to
> be very nice.

> being monitor borders - but doesn't s{x,y,w,h} give those to you, or did
> I misunderstand?
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts'_law
> [2] http://www.asktog.com/columns/022DesignedToGiveFitts.html
> [3] http://nickgravgaard.com/windowlab/
>

> Thanks,
> john

I do what you propose eliminating all the time. Floating windows are
annoying enough without having to look at all of every one of them. dwm
has no concept of minimize other than sending to an unviewed tag but
sometimes I want to get a window out of the way without sending it to
another tag where I have to go looking for it later. The easy way to do
that is to move it mostly off the screen.