Re: [dwm] wildcard in client rules tags ref

From: Eric Davis <edavis_AT_insanum.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 10:19:16 -0700

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 11:56:02AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:06:22PM -0700, Eric Davis wrote:
> > DWM used to support regular expressions in the tags ref for client
> > rules. I agree that the feature was overkill but it was nice to be able
> > to say "*" so a client is on all tags. I used this for background
> > notification popups from scripts with gxmessage.
> >
> > Is it possible to add a simple glob indicator back to DWM that specifies
> > all tags? Or is there another way to do this that I overlooked...?
>
> See attached patch, however I'm not sure I like this approach
> for the mainstream dwm.
>
> If you want the behavior it is possible with the following
> approach already in mainstream dwm, but you might not like it:
>
> { NULL, "gxmessage", NULL, tags[0], True },
> { NULL, "gxmessage", NULL, tags[1], True },
> { NULL, "gxmessage", NULL, tags[2], True },
> { NULL, "gxmessage", NULL, tags[3], True },
> { NULL, "gxmessage", NULL, tags[8], True },

Sometimes the simplest approaches are greatly overlooked! Having the
multiple tag rules works great and I think is a good solution.

Note that, for me, you're patch caused dwm to hang. It wouldn't take
any keyboard input and no gxmessage windows were shown... but dwm did
respond to HUP and came back to life.

Another solution which might be even better is to use dzen.

Thanks,
- e