Re: [dwm] Documentation!

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 19:32:37 +0100

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 10:18 AM, Henrik Holst <holst_AT_matmech.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:40:39PM +0200, dwm-request_AT_suckless.org wrote:
>> I've been waiting for the code movement to slow down before looking at
>> it again. Can I just confirm dwm will still technically work linked
>> against libxinerama, just doesn't have any special processing for it.
>> (As Jimmy mentions, if you haven't got a monitor buying a widescreen
>> one makes sense but if you've already got one it's easier to
>> requisition/buy another than replace it with a new one.)
>>

> Is it really a problem of code being developed? Or is it a problem with
> a stable API*, for patches and such? Maybe that is what dwm needs in
> dwm-5.x, a promise of a stable api and workflow.

It's partly that over the last 6 months or so I've been incredibly
busy and partly that there have been lots of short-lived refactorings
(in the sense they then got refactored differently) without much
actual core functionality changes, so I didn't really want to spend
much time porting stuff again and again. I don't have a problem using
a patched 4.4 until things settle down again, and I actually support
experimentation with features to see if they're useful. If I had a
comment, I'd suggest there have perhaps been more changes to try
different code aesthetics on the same functionality which I see as a
bit of a distraction. But hey, it's Anselm's wm and he's been dwm
writing code lately which I haven't so it's his choice :-)

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
david.tweed_AT_gmail.com