Re: [dwm] way towards 5.0

From: John Li <jli_AT_circularly.org>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 12:54:02 -0400

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 02:47:28PM +0200, Jan Christoph Ebersbach wrote:
> On Sun 18-05-2008 12:42 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> > On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:07:37PM +0200, Jan Christoph Ebersbach
> > wrote:
> > > The floating layout is totally useless when it comes to mouseless
> > > usage and even with the mouse there is no window manager that
> > > provides such weak functionality to manage floating windows.
> >
> > I disagree. I think the floating mode is as usable as in traditional
> > WMs -- which functionality are you missing?
>
> Pancake guessed right, I was talking about maximizing, moving and
> resizing windows. It would also be nice to have an arrange and/or an
> overview like the one MacOS provides.

Curious you ask for the Mac OS exposé thing. I was observing that
setting a non-floating layout and selecting all tags essentially gives
you this. I think what would make it perfect would be the "grid-mode"
layout from a while ago (I don't know if it still works) so that you
don't have one huge master window and a bunch of very short (or skinny)
windows in the tile area.

But (and this is somewhat of a problem with automatic tiling in general)
it can be hard to distinguish windows when the geometric information
(width, height) is removed. I think having everything in a grid would
still be kind of nice.

-John