Re: [dwm] way towards 5.0

From: Jan Christoph Ebersbach <dwm_AT_e-jc.de>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:47:28 +0200

On Sun 18-05-2008 12:42 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:

> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:07:37PM +0200, Jan Christoph Ebersbach
> wrote:
>
> > I'm really wondering about the roadmap of dwm. - Since version 2.8
> > the development is officially finished, isn't it? From my point of
> > view most of the changes are related to moving locs.
>
> If you compare hg tip to 2.8 you won't notice drastic differences
> from a user POV, however the code has evolved a lot since that time
> (included bug fixes).

Jep, that's for sure - sorry for the harsh words.

> > The description of dwm says: It manages windows in tiled and
> > floating layouts.
> >
> > So why don't we concentrate on these things? Main dwm comes with
> > just two/one tiled modes although the current way to include patches
> > would allow us add all the bstack, fibonacci ... modes in separate
> > files and let the user decide which one he actually needs.
>
> Exactly, that's what we doing.

But why are these layouts not part of the main distribution? As we've
seen there are not always people maintaining these patches and it's also
a risky thing to apply patches as they are not always working with the
current release.

I vote for adding all available layout patches to the main distribution.

> > The floating layout is totally useless when it comes to mouseless
> > usage and even with the mouse there is no window manager that
> > provides such weak functionality to manage floating windows.
>
> I disagree. I think the floating mode is as usable as in traditional
> WMs -- which functionality are you missing?

Pancake guessed right, I was talking about maximizing, moving and
resizing windows. It would also be nice to have an arrange and/or an
overview like the one MacOS provides.

Cheers.

--
Jan Christoph Ebersbach
But by the grace of God I am what I am. 1. Cor 15,10