Re: [dwm] way towards 5.0

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 12:42:34 +0200

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:07:37PM +0200, Jan Christoph Ebersbach wrote:
> On Sat 17-05-2008 16:05 +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
>
> > Let me know how welcome do you feel about those changes. Bug reports
> > are also welcome.
>
> I'm really wondering about the roadmap of dwm. - Since version 2.8 the
> development is officially finished, isn't it? From my point of view most
> of the changes are related to moving locs.

If you compare hg tip to 2.8 you won't notice drastic
differences from a user POV, however the code has evolved a lot
since that time (included bug fixes).

> The description of dwm says: It manages windows in tiled and floating
> layouts.
>
> So why don't we concentrate on these things? Main dwm comes with just
> two/one tiled modes although the current way to include patches would
> allow us add all the bstack, fibonacci ... modes in separate files and
> let the user decide which one he actually needs.

Exactly, that's what we doing.

> The floating layout is totally useless when it comes to mouseless usage
> and even with the mouse there is no window manager that provides such
> weak functionality to manage floating windows.

I disagree. I think the floating mode is as usable as in
traditional WMs -- which functionality are you missing?

> I'd like to see changes in these areas before we think about another
> features that are added and removed within a few days (vote for an
> experimental branch).

There is no need for an experimenal branch as long as the
releases are rather stable and defined. And that has always been
the case in the dwm development. You will find rather
experimental things between releases in hg.

Kind regards,