Re: [dwm] Need a small image resize program

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:28:58 +0100

You don't say what kind of resizing you're doing and the constraints:
are you doing something like a generating thumbnails on-line so the
quality constraints aren't that high but you want it to be fast, or
trying to blow up images to fit the screen or something else? If
you're thumbnailing you can configure libjpeg to only decode the DCT
coefficients that are essentially visible at the target size - I
gather this is what the epeg library from enlightenment does.
(Enlightenment isn't small and it suffers from the NIH syndrome of so
much software but I've looked at it because I'm interested in fast
image manipulation, which is what it's good at.)

If you're keeping the images long-term the advice to try and pick a
tool that's jpeg aware so that it can minimise transcoding artifacts
is well worth taking.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
david.tweed_AT_gmail.com