Re: [dwm] New layout

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:54:05 +0200

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 11:30:58AM +0200, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> Looking into your patch I more and more come to the conclusion
> to add an extra void *aux field to Client for extensions like
> this (or the previous extensions proposed in the toggle{vert,horiz} patches.
>
> With this in 5.1 you could easily keep your patchset upwards
> compatible if you use Client->aux to store all the extensions to
> Client.
>
> What do you think?

No.

I had a look into the wmii patchset by Guillaume, but a proper
dwm integration would need much more hooks, like hooks into
focussing etc. So my decision is, to not extend Client with
*aux pointers. Such kind of heavy patches need to interfere with
dwm anyways.

@Guillaume:

To check if the layout in use is wlayout, use
lt[sellt]->arrange == wlayout, instead of these expensive
strcmp() calls. Note that lt[sellt] is the lt-> pendant in hg
tip and upcoming 5.1.

Kind regards,