Re: [dwm] New layout

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 13:07:23 +0200

Another thing:

I don't think that the design of dwm fits well with the
layouting concept of wmii. This is because dwm depends on the
assumption that the layout algorithm in use is dynamic enough to
deal with arbitrary amounts of windows which are singly-linked,
whereas wmii basically has more high-level data structures to
organize windows and assumes the column concept in its
definition. Thus its layout algorithm is less dynamic
unfortunately.

An algorithm I have in mind is more dwm-wmii like is somethink
like:

 AAAA BBBB
 AACCCCCCBB
   CCCCCC
 DDCCCCCCEE
 DDDD EEEE

This layout only shows 5 windows at maximum, and it uses slight
overlapping to achieve a better screen real estate, the amount
of overlapping could depend on mfact. The focused window is C
and any focusstack() action will end up in a re-arrange().

C is always the list center. It scales for less than 5 windows
as well.

Just a random idea.