Re: [dwm] Being not so elitist

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:35:53 +0200

On 7/29/08, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/7/29 markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>:
>> "This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking
>> stupid
>> questions."
>
> Well, I removed this statement, now. It was on purpose 2 years ago,
> though. It wasn't intended as offense, however.
>
> I might restore this statement, if a new user shows up proposing or
> asking for a configuration file format.

I see how it can be offensive, however there is a message there which
is important to the suckless philosophy/mission.

1.) dwm favours those who can appreciate (or even admire) the nice
code of it and not those who cry when "some multi-foobar-application
does not integrate well in the statusbar automagically".

2.) .h config because it is elitist and _fun_ for a c programmer
(apart from other technical reasons..)

3.) projects where the code cleanness and simplicity is the main
concern are extremely rare, most ppl don't even understand why is it
important. we find this fact sad and this should be emphasized.

4.) dwm can be used by the masses, it is quite usable actually, but
those who expect the usual trendy approach will be disappointed. they
should be warned!

well most of it is already in /common/, but i liked the way it was stated there.