Re: [dwm] Being not so elitist

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:27:24 +0200

[2008-07-29 11:35] Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
> On 7/29/08, Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > 2008/7/29 markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>:
> >> "This keeps its userbase small and elitist. No novices asking
> >> stupid
> >> questions."
> >
> > Well, I removed this statement, now. It was on purpose 2 years ago,
> > though. It wasn't intended as offense, however.
> >
> > I might restore this statement, if a new user shows up proposing or
> > asking for a configuration file format.
>
> I see how it can be offensive, however there is a message there which
> is important to the suckless philosophy/mission.

I disagree here in global for the simple reason, that you should never
kick people off, because _you_ think it doesnt suite to them!
You can tell them about the eventual problems they may have, and you
can deny support for their "stupid" questions ... but dont tell them
to "fuck off".

> 1.) dwm favours those who can appreciate (or even admire) the nice
> code of it and not those who cry when "some multi-foobar-application
> does not integrate well in the statusbar automagically".

what has that to do with elitism?

> 2.) .h config because it is elitist and _fun_ for a c programmer
> (apart from other technical reasons..)

the same here: s/elisist and//
exactly that is the point I meant in my first mail: why do we have to
say: "We are better than others!" ??

> 3.) projects where the code cleanness and simplicity is the main
> concern are extremely rare, most ppl don't even understand why is it
> important. we find this fact sad and this should be emphasized.

I agree, but what has that to do with elitism?

> 4.) dwm can be used by the masses, it is quite usable actually, but
> those who expect the usual trendy approach will be disappointed. they
> should be warned!

Yeah, they should be "warned", by telling them our goals ... but not
by telling them, that we are "better" ... we are some kind of elite.

Again: dont tell them they are not suited ... how will you know??

Tell them what we want to achieve, what our ideas are, what we like

... open the field
do not build fences

I see an analogy here to programmers that think:
This program will only be used in that specific way, for all time.

This is proven wrong!

Please think about it.

meillo