Re: [dwm] Coding styles

From: nilp <nilpni_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:03:48 +0000

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 05:48:08PM +0200, pancake wrote:
> We can maybe maintain this enumeration in the suckless wiki.
> I dont say that removing comments is good. And remove them to reduce
> LOCs is stupid. comments have nothing to do with code. The problem is
> that there're lot of unnecessary comments. And i found lot of them
> outdated when they are big comments, and sometimes is better change some
> variable names and remove a comment than having an unreadable code with
> a very explicative comment.
>
> I am also thinking on links to "coding horror" web blog and other I read
> few time ago from djb and so. I understand that the language can be a
> bit agressive sometimes, but it was just a braindump, it needs to be
> cleaned up. The english is not as good as it should O:)
>
> maybe we can start with a minimalistic replacement for ED and write a
> frontend for it a la vim with shell access for extensibility. it would
> be great to have a minimalistic vim replacement :)
>
> PD: http://news.nopcode.org/miau/wk/UseED
>
> --pancake

Yeah, I found "adds one to x" commeting annoying too -- TAOUP makes
great point here - errorness of code depends on it's length, so bloating
it with useless comments is bad. OTOH, it's really nice, when you can
open foo.c, look at the longest function can clearly see structure and
data flow. So, well, sensitive commenting is good.

Btw, with that debugger thing -- there's _really_ great wrapper around
gdb called cgdb with vi-like navigation, code coloring, stepping lines
with one key etc., it really worths for trying (using plain gdb TUI is
real pain for me).

And i _like_ the idea of ed (well not because of slow terminals), but
you know, i just need some of those "i wanna learn new editor" mornings :)
Btw my english's not perfect neither ;|

---
Nilp