Re: [dwm] Coding styles

From: nilp <nilpni_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:10:24 +0000

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 06:42:58PM +0200, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> On 7/31/08, pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, eclipse is a very standard tool. Using ANT is far more better than
> > using make. IMHO make is also a weird tool that should be replaced
>
> from ant manual:
> 'Makefiles are inherently evil as well. Anybody who has worked on them
> for any time has run into the dreaded tab problem. "Is my command not
> executing because I have a space in front of my tab?!!" said the
> original author of Ant way too many times.'
>
> i wouldn't trust my code to someone who cannot tell the difference
> between spaces and tabs ;)

An explanation of Stuart Feldman, make's author, is great:

Why the tab in column 1? Yacc was new, Lex was brand new. I hadn't
tried either, so I figured this would be a good excuse to learn.
After getting myself snarled up with my first stab at Lex, I just did
something simple with the pattern newline-tab. It worked, it stayed.
And then a few weeks later I had a user population of about a dozen,
most of them friends, and I didn't want to screw up my embedded base.
The rest, sadly, is history.

--
It's really funny when you consider how many people are complaining
about this :)