[dwm] rationale for resizehints=False?

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 13:54:49 -0700

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could explain the rationale for
introducing the option to set resizehints=False. I find that having a
single option isn't quite what I want. I want either resizehints{x,y}
or resizehints{in,out}.

E.g. suppose the following tiled layout:
        +------+---+
        | | |
        | +---+
        | | |
        | +---+
        | | |
        +------+---+
I have the inside border
               +

               +---+

               +---+

               +
set up to follow resize hints (this packs more text onscreen if my
display's number of rows is not a multiple of 3). The outside border
        | |
        | +
        | |
        | +
        | |
does not follow resize hints, because I have them set up to be
rendered exactly 1px offscreen (I don't want to see them).

Any reason why the current setup is all-or-nothing?