Re: [dwm] rationale for resizehints=False?

From: Sander van Dijk <a.h.vandijk_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 09:35:14 +0200

On 8/6/08, Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I have the inside border
> set up to follow resize hints (this packs more text onscreen if my
> display's number of rows is not a multiple of 3). The outside border
> does not follow resize hints, because I have them set up to be
> rendered exactly 1px offscreen (I don't want to see them).
>
> Any reason why the current setup is all-or-nothing?

I'm not sure what you mean by "having the inside border setup to
follow resizehints, but the outside border does not follow
resizehints"? Handling resizehints doesn't have an effect on borders,
it has an effect on the window. An application can for instance say "I
want to be resized in steps of 5 pixels only" or "I want to be
precisely this size". When resizehints handling is enabled, dwm will
honor those requests, otherwise it'll simply say "this is your size,
deal with it". I believe there's not much between all or nothing there
(other than being able to handle/ignore specific hints, but I doubt
that's what you meant).

Greetings, Sander.