Re: [dwm] dvtm suggestion

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:34:47 -0700

>> - tags/workspaces are a straightforward addition to dvtm, since it
>> was
>> derived from dwm. (I have it mostly working for myself, but I had
>> to rip
>> out a lot of dvtm-specific things like 'minimize')
>
> Why had you to rip out these things? There is a git branch which
> should mostly work but i so far failed to find acceptable keybindings
> for all the tag actions.
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/dvtm.git?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/tagging

I didn't see the git branch when I made that comment. But now that
I've seen it, I've got to say, I don't like it. I use dvtm when I
can't use dwm, and for various reasons prefer that they share as much
code as possible.

- The ability to minimize windows is mostly useless when you have
tags and workspaces. The exception is if one is using the window
title as another status bar.

- The implementation of tagging is contrary to the suckless philosophy:
http://www.suckless.org/common/

- The "focusn" procedure takes away valuable key bindings that I use
for tagging.

An unrelated comment: there's some code in madtty.c to work around
some issue in PuTTY. It doesn't seem to make a difference for me (I
use PuTTY), but perhaps a better solution is to call define_key from
the frontend (i.e dvtm.c).