Re: [dwm] dvtm suggestion

From: Marc Andre Tanner <mat_AT_brain-dump.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:56:55 +0200

Donald Chai wrote:
>>> - tags/workspaces are a straightforward addition to dvtm, since it was
>>> derived from dwm. (I have it mostly working for myself, but I had to rip
>>> out a lot of dvtm-specific things like 'minimize')
>>
>> Why had you to rip out these things? There is a git branch which
>> should mostly work but i so far failed to find acceptable keybindings
>> for all the tag actions.
>>
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/dvtm.git?a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/tagging
>
> I didn't see the git branch when I made that comment. But now that I've
> seen it, I've got to say, I don't like it. I use dvtm when I can't use
> dwm, and for various reasons prefer that they share as much code as
> possible.
>
> - The ability to minimize windows is mostly useless when you have tags
> and workspaces. The exception is if one is using the window title as
> another status bar.

I find the window title as status bar functionality especially useful
when dealing with long running tasks which don't need my attention.

> - The implementation of tagging is contrary to the suckless philosophy:
> http://www.suckless.org/common/

I agree, however this is because the various functions take char* arrays
instead of an Arg union. This makes it impossible to specify bit masks.
We could of course change this but it would break the "new" command
interface[1].

> - The "focusn" procedure takes away valuable key bindings that I use for
> tagging.

I personally find this fast selection quite useful, but it's probably
true that when your working with tags you have less windows per view and
the quick selection is no longer that important.

> An unrelated comment: there's some code in madtty.c to work around some
> issue in PuTTY. It doesn't seem to make a difference for me (I use
> PuTTY), but perhaps a better solution is to call define_key from the
> frontend (i.e dvtm.c).

Does this mean the keypad works for you within putty?

Regards,
Marc

[1] http://lists.suckless.org/dwm/0806/6114.html

--