Re: [dwm] dvtm suggestion

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:09:08 -0700

>> - The implementation of tagging is contrary to the suckless
>> philosophy:
>> http://www.suckless.org/common/
>
> I agree, however this is because the various functions take char*
> arrays
> instead of an Arg union. This makes it impossible to specify bit
> masks.
> We could of course change this but it would break the "new" command
> interface[1].

umm...atoi()? :)

>> - The "focusn" procedure takes away valuable key bindings that I
>> use for tagging.
>
> I personally find this fast selection quite useful, but it's probably
> true that when your working with tags you have less windows per
> view and
> the quick selection is no longer that important.

Another thing is that since I use dvtm when I can't use dwm, I have
ALT-j cycle through windows, rather than "CTRL-g j". So I don't ever
have to punch in "CTRL-g j CTRL-g j" :)

>> An unrelated comment: there's some code in madtty.c to work around
>> some issue in PuTTY. It doesn't seem to make a difference for me
>> (I use PuTTY), but perhaps a better solution is to call define_key
>> from the frontend (i.e dvtm.c).
>
> Does this mean the keypad works for you within putty?

The keypad works just fine without any hacks in dvtm. PuTTY just
happens to be set up incorrectly by default. TERM is set to xterm, so
one should just go to Terminal -> Keyboard and set "The Function keys
and keypad" to "Xterm R6".