[dwm] Floating children

From: Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 19:03:56 -0300

Hi,

as I'm no expert I would like to ask you about the possibility of
opening clients that are children of a floating one as floating
themselves, disregarding the current layout.

I use a vanilla dwm, without any layout per tag facility. I like it
this way but still some clients are cumbersome to manage.

For example fluid, the gui designer for fltk, which follows the gimp
and gaim ugly paradigm of presenting a number of floating windows. I
can add a rule for floating its main window, based on its class. But
the child windows has no class or instance properties that can be
ruled as floating, and the titles are unmatcheable without regexp
support, so I need to manually move them to the floating state (and
there is no fixed set of windows, new ones are always popping up
during the work session). Even worst, if the current layout is, say,
monocle, they are automatically maximized, so I need to resize them
every time too. Of course, I could change the layout to floating each
time I enter fluid's tag, but then I also need to remember to revert
to monocle -my "default" mode- upon tag exit. As you can see, there is
a lot of manual, fallible, work involved.

I'm a bit reluctant to patch dwm pertag just for this. I think it's
more sensible to make floating client's children recursively floating.

What do you think? Can you help me implement this, if it's possible at
all? (I'm not even sure whether X has a notion of parent-child
relationship between clients or not)

Thank you in advance
Regards
-Carlos