Re: [dwm] Floating children

From: Claudio <smoppy_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 01:05:46 +0200

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita_AT_gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,

Hi.

I'm a bit reluctant to patch dwm pertag just for this. I think it's
> more sensible to make floating client's children recursively floating.

Why? It does exactly what you need if you use a tag only for that program.

> What do you think? Can you help me implement this, if it's possible at
> all? (I'm not even sure whether X has a notion of parent-child
> relationship between clients or not)

I'm not an X11 coder but AFAIK you can go through the siblings of a parent
window and eventually apply a set of rules to each client by using the
XQueryTree(3) routine in a way similar to that of the scan() function. It's
a bit excessive in thise case, i think. I had such problem with aMSN which
have a different WM_CLASS name for each sibling. For lucky the number of
possible siblings is finite and not much huge so the result, in my case, are
the following lines in config.h:

 // aMSN
 { "Amsn", NULL, NULL, 1<<1, True },
 { "Chatwindow", NULL, NULL, 1<<1, True },
 { "Toplevel", NULL, NULL, 1<<1, True },
 { "Searchdialog", NULL, NULL, 1<<1, True },
 { "Assistant", NULL, NULL, 1<<1, True },

Likely it's doable in a "better" manner even if i'm quite happy this way.

Saluti,
Claudio M. Alessi