[dwm] questions about DWM source

From: robert hickman <robert.e.hickman_AT_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 23:24:54 +0000

Recently ive bean trying to find out how X11 window managers work, and
how to wright them. as DWM seams to have the smallist code, but still be
useable it seampt to be a good point to start. So far I've found the
source to be quite difficult to follow, mainly due to the large number
of global variables and the not terrabely descriptive variable names
such as wx, and wy (which I have been renamed to window_x and window_y).
fairly easy to fix, but didn't make it easy for me to find my way around
the code.

Then I came across this pese of code in the manage function:

    Window trans = None;

    if(XGetTransientForHint(dpy, wind, &trans))
        t = getclient(trans);
    if(t)
        clien->tags = t->tags;
    else
        applyrules(clien);

what exactly does this do? and why is it doing it?

Thanks.