Re: [dwm] [OT] Personal Website and CSS

From: Szabolcs Nagy <nszabolcs_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:51:52 +0100

On 2/18/09, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org> wrote:
> minimalism. What annoyed me then and now was CSS and its implementations
> in modern browsers.

css cannot be implemented (..in a suckless way)

> there seems to be no agreed standard for a default CSS stylesheet merely a
> recommendation from the CSS standard [1] (which is incomplete) and a lot
> of people seem to be concerned about resetting the browser CSS defaults -
> even the W3C does so in their stylesheets [2]. Most people seems to have
> installed nearly all popular browsers, test with those and incorporate
> workarounds if necessary.

don't try to fix the browser, you can't
it leads to a chaos where each website has different versions for each
browser, display media, resolution,..

there is no way to do "nice in all browsers" page (or pixel correct
presentation)
(flash is obviously not an option since it's not (and cannot be)
supported by most browsers)

interactivity has the same issues (no way to do it properly)

> At the moment I'm just aware of The Anti-web Manifesto [3] that someone
> linked to on this mailing list. Although I mainly subscribe to it,

http://port70.net/webless suggests a least common denominator
imho this is the most sane approach currently (although limited in many ways)

> browsers like Mozilla Firefox have terrible default typographic style

the user is responsible for changing the default style (or using a sane browser)