Re: [dwm] [OT] Personal Website and CSS

From: Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:04:20 +0100

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 08:51:52AM +0100, Szabolcs Nagy wrote:
> On 2/18/09, Matthias-Christian Ott <ott_AT_mirix.org> wrote:
> > minimalism. What annoyed me then and now was CSS and its implementations
> > in modern browsers.
>
> css cannot be implemented (..in a suckless way)
>
> > there seems to be no agreed standard for a default CSS stylesheet merely a
> > recommendation from the CSS standard [1] (which is incomplete) and a lot
> > of people seem to be concerned about resetting the browser CSS defaults -
> > even the W3C does so in their stylesheets [2]. Most people seems to have
> > installed nearly all popular browsers, test with those and incorporate
> > workarounds if necessary.
>
> don't try to fix the browser, you can't

I know.

> it leads to a chaos where each website has different versions for each
> browser, display media, resolution,..

On my 15.4" WXSGA+ display browsing some sites is really a pain, because
the use font sizes measured in pixel and limit their content to 500px
or so.

> there is no way to do "nice in all browsers" page (or pixel correct
> presentation)
> (flash is obviously not an option since it's not (and cannot be)
> supported by most browsers)

Flash is proprietary software and therefore not even worth thinking about.

> interactivity has the same issues (no way to do it properly)
>
> > At the moment I'm just aware of The Anti-web Manifesto [3] that someone
> > linked to on this mailing list. Although I mainly subscribe to it,
>
> http://port70.net/webless suggests a least common denominator
> imho this is the most sane approach currently (although limited in many ways)

Yes, but have you tried to read a long text (I tend to be verbose)
in Mozilla Firefox?

> > browsers like Mozilla Firefox have terrible default typographic style
>
> the user is responsible for changing the default style (or using a sane browser)

Theoretically I agree, but how many users do so? Additionally I don't
want to know what happens if you change your stylesheet and view other
CSS-styled websites (it will probably break the layout I suppose).

Regards,
Matthias-Christian