Re: [dwm] Gemini Terminal manager for gnome

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:30:13 +0100

Hey thij! Congratulations for the 'public release' ;)

I find gemini a quite interesting approach for non-tiled environments
like OSX/W32 where you at the end dont want to use anything more
than terminals.

Vala+VTE+gee+WAF are funny dependencies that makes the code
funnier to read, but definitively the result is not that minimal, but
at least is nice to read. And if somebody plans to do it in a minimalistic
way supporting xwindow embedding inside he will have a good test
base to play with thanks to gemini.

About the keybindings i would make some changes:

meta+shift+{h,l} => remove shift (like in dwm)
meta+m => meta+b (like in dwm)
meta+{+,-} => change font size

The use of ^-[0-9] to move a terminal from one tag to another looks
strange to me, because im most close to the dwm default keybindings,
but looks shorter. i just need some time to accomodate ;)

BTW im actually using gemini as my default terminal inside dwm, and
works like a charm, the funny thing of vte is that properly stores
all the buffer of the terminal and there's no problems for resizing and
lose contents.

Another nice feature i would like to see is the possibility to change the
background color of a vte instance with a keystroke. this way i can
'mark' my terminals as for different tasks and i can find them faster
if i have multiple of them mixed between tags.

I also miss a contextual menu to use the gnome's clipboard and probably
any other minimal option.

--pancake