[gsoc] Fwd: GoSC project idea

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:28:01 +0000

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: 2009/3/14
Subject: Re: GoSC project idea
To: Manan Shah <manan008_AT_gmail.com>

Hi Manan,

first of all, the development of mobile applications involves an SDK
such as the Android SDK that usually contains an emulator so that the
development can be done on the desktop, which is also more feasible as
a development environment.

Compiling and developing software on a mobile directly would only work
for very small things, due to the limitations in memory and space.
Also the CPUs are very slow compared to desktops running emulators
which makes compilation at least a very slow progress.

We are more interested in mobile applications in the are of the UI, eg
the Android UI, to improve it with our concepts found in our projects
software, such as replacing the Android desktop altogether with
dynamic tagging and perhaps replacing the Android WM with concepts
found in dwm. Also, we'd like to be inclined about a 9P server on the
Android phone which exports the Android filesystem to a 9P client so
that the phone's filesystem can be easily mounted.

Speaking from a Java perspective regarding your idea -- Android is
J2SE compliant so there is really no point in developing Java programs
on the phone.

Does this help you in understanding our perspective?

Kind regards,
Anselm

--
--Anselm