Re: [hackers] [dwm][patch] Make EWMH windows float

From: Stein Gunnar Bakkeby <bakkeby_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 14:49:58 +0200

For what it is worth I created a windowrolerule
<https://github.com/bakkeby/patches/blob/master/dwm/dwm-windowrolerule-6.2.diff>
patch a while ago that lets you apply rules based on the WM_WINDOW_ROLE
string.

One would typically use something like this to avoid having browser
preferences windows, etc., from being tiled. This may be a hit or miss
though as you do rely on the application actually setting this role for the
popup window.
The slight annoying thing is that you have to find these first, then set up
rules for every application that you use that has such preferences windows
or otherwise.

Personally I think that it makes more sense to make all these windows
floating by default (as per the original patch), except that it would be
better to handle this before rules get applied so that you have the option
of preventing windows from being floating if you explicitly do not want it.

Best regards,

-Stein

--
Stein Gunnar Bakkeby