Re: [hackers] Licensing status of patches

From: Daniel Littlewood <danielittlewood_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 19:06:32 +0100

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for those mentions, I love the qutebrowser project and am
warmed to see other examples of GPL projects finding ways to monetise
their work.

I am wary of going too far off topic, but I think a convincing
argument against the use of "permissive" licenses like MIT is that if
your project grows above a certain size, it necessitates CLAs in
addition to a license. If you do not use a platform like GitHub who
guarantees that inbound=outbound, then you don't necessarily have a
right to your contributors' changes, which I'm sure could be painful.
Sure, it's an unlikely situation, but so are most pathological
behaviours that necessitate a license.