Re: [hackers] [dmenu] follow-up fix: add -D_GNU_SOURCE for strcasestr for some systems || Hiltjo Posthuma

From: Quentin Rameau <quinq_AT_fifth.space>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2022 14:31:24 +0100

Hola,

Here are my two cents,

> On Mon, Feb 07, 2022 at 10:41:58AM +0100, Laslo Hunhold wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Feb 2022 10:36:46 +0100 (CET)
> > git_AT_suckless.org wrote:
> >
> > Dear Hiltjo,
> >
> > > follow-up fix: add -D_GNU_SOURCE for strcasestr for some systems
> >
> > wouldn't it be better to avoid GNU-extensions in code?
> >
> > With best regards
> >
> > Laslo
> >

> I kindof expected a reply like this. In general I don't disagree.
>
> This function is available on many systems for decades.
>
> On some systems like OpenBSD the -D_GNU_SOURCE is not needed.

I still think it's kind of problematic to add a non-portable function
here.

What we do in other places is to provide a fallback implementation of
such functions, so maybe we should do that here too.

Also, without questioning your actual push, Hiltjo, maybe that's not the
best way to fix the performance issue and we could invest more time to
think about this.