Re: [hackers] [dmenu] inputw: improve correctness and startup performance || NRK

From: NRK <nrk_AT_disroot.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 22:55:31 +0600

On Fri, Apr 29, 2022 at 04:57:20PM +0200, Laslo Hunhold wrote:
> What's your stance on Wayland-support in dmenu? Would you accept a
> patch?

Hi Laslo,

While you've asked this to Hiltjo, I figured I'd give my 2c on this
since I've been trolling around the dmenu code base a bit recently.

Most of the heavy-lifting is currently done via libsl, however libsl is
a pretty thin abstraction over X and exposes a lot of the X (and Xft)
specific details in the API. Just taking a look at `drw.h` should
confirm this.

So in order to support wayland, the entire API will need to reworked to
hide away all low level details so that it can be used for both X and
Wayland.

But that's not all, dmenu itself makes a good amount of calls to Xlib
functions. So all those will need to be abstracted away as well.

At the end, I suspect it'll be much simpler to just have a separate
branch or even just a rewrite from scratch rather than trying to cram
support for both wayland and X in the existing codebase.

- NRK