Re: [wmii] Question about column layout

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:37:48 +0100

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:37:13AM +0200, Jani H. Lahtinen wrote:
> ext Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> >But I agree that the additional layer called 'tabs' are a bad
> >idea after all and that they make the concept more and
> >unecessarily complex. In my opinion, tabs should be dropped in
> >general, because we have already the structural layer called
> >page. If anything doesn't fits into a page, just create a new
> >page.

> I disagree. I prefer to have tabs. For example when I use matlab, it
> would be extremely nice to have one frame for the code and a couple of
> frames for figures which can be tabbed. Similarily for the webbrowser
> (Firefox has tabs of its own of course). As I expressed earlier I think
> that a page is simply a tab for the whole screen. Restricting the way
> people can use the wm sounds to me to be against the dynamic concept.
> How can it be dynamic if the user is forced to use it in a particular
> way? Did you not write on the wiki "not the user's job to have to set up
> some specialized layout that will only work for one specific work
> scenario."? Now you want to do the opposite on the page level. I feel
> that restricting the options makes the wm less dynamic.

To me, there is no (major) difference in having several tabbed
clients in one page, or each client on a different page - in
both cases you only see the client/page you selected per time -
not the others.

On the other hand, we plan to integrate tagbars and extended
stacking features, which fully replace the pros of tabs with a
nearly equivalent functionality, but without adding an
additional layer, just only using the trick, that you might
think of vertical tabs (which are tagbars representing a hidden
client) instead of horizontal ones.

Regards,