Fwd: Re: [wmii] Re: wmiibar2 ready

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 18:20:01 +0100

FYI

----- Forwarded message from "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> -----

Sander,

sorry I have to regret my decision. I agree with Uriel that
wmiimenu does not need an fs interface at all. This is because we
separate font/color configuration into three env vars (only
exception will be wmiibar which will allow post-configuration of
those colors to other colors):

We'll have
WMII_FONT, WMII_SELCOLOR and WMII_NORMCOLOR which are read once
at the startup. That is sufficient, because restarting the
controller scripts for color changes is no big deal.

I'll merge wmiikeys into wm, since wmiikeys is a trivial program
only and we safe a lot of code without it as separate process
(and gain some symbiotic effects, because wmiiwm itself needs to
grab for keyboard and keys as well).

For wmiimenu we drop the history mechanism because it can be
emulated through a specific call which presents history menu
contents. The way to go with wmiimenu is as follows (this also
allows input stuff):

On start wmiimenu reads from stdin arbitrary data which is used
as list for menu entries. On return it writes the input data to
stdout which can be used for scripts. That's all we need ;)

Sorry, that you investigated so much time into ixp stuff, but
now you know how to write other apps with 9P interface ;)

Regards,