[wmii] Re: Fwd: wmiibar2 ready

From: Stefan Tibus <sjti_AT_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:39:43 +0100

Hello Anselm.

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 06:20:01PM +0100, Anselm R. Garbe wrote:
> sorry I have to regret my decision. I agree with Uriel that
> wmiimenu does not need an fs interface at all. This is because we
> separate font/color configuration into three env vars (only
> exception will be wmiibar which will allow post-configuration of
> those colors to other colors):
I don't agree that this is such a good idea. It may not happen that
often that somebody wants to change the colors of the running wm.
But if I do so, I would like not to have to restart it and thus
have to rearrange all my windows then.
And actually in my opinion it is very inconsistent to have this
runtime configuration option only in some part of the wmii-tools.
Minimalism should not break a good and consistent design.

> I'll merge wmiikeys into wm, since wmiikeys is a trivial program
> only and we safe a lot of code without it as separate process
> (and gain some symbiotic effects, because wmiiwm itself needs to
> grab for keyboard and keys as well).
Hmm...what about wmiimenu and wmiibar then? Since I'm not coding
on wmii, I don't know how much keyboard handling wmiiwm actually
does, but everything I press on my keyboard goes either to wmiikeys
or the running application. I believe you can always save on the code
when putting everything together, but I thought wmii was meant to
be modular. If you'd put everything together you could even skip a
lot of the wmiifs stuff, but I believe this is not the way you want
to go.

So this is my vote to keep modularity and consistency.

Regards,
Stefan