Re: [wmii] Re: IntelliJ 5.1 and wmii-2.5.2

From: Alexandru E. Ungur <alexandru_AT_globalterrasoft.ro>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:43:44 +0200

>>> sender: "Anselm R. Garbe" date: "Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 09:46:36AM +0100" <<<EOQ
> [..]
> > @garbeam: Will there be a max layout in next snap again? I'm only
> > asking because I didn't hear a clear statement about it.
>
> Dunno if it will be in next snap, but at least within one of
> next snaps. The 9P integration is finished already and I merged
> wmiikeys and wmiibar into the WM - this means we have only
> one 9P server - wmii itself. To the 9P client world this is
> transparent, to the WM this has some advantages (lesser code and
> use of symbiotic effects such as key handling in one area,
> knowledge about geometry of wmii-related windows like the bar
> without doing nasty synchronization stuff).

Speaking of layouts :), I'd like to ask just this: I understand grid layout
will be gone, right? Then what choice do I have for running programs that
create xterms dynamically?, like this one, here:
http://pix.slax.no-ip.biz/shot-2.5.png -> Cluster SSH opening 10 parralel
SSH sessions.

I was once presented with this solution:
---[4x3term]--
#!/usr/local/9/bin/rc
PATH=/usr/local/9/bin:$PATH
wmiir write /wm/ctl new
wmiir write /wm/sel/ctl 'exec xterm -rv'
for (i in 1 2 3) {
    for (j in 1 2 3)
        wmiir write /wm/sel/ctl 'exec xterm -rv'
    sleep 1
    if(! ~ $j 3)
        wmiir write /wm/sel/layout/sel/ctl new
}
wmiir write /wm/sel/ctl 'exec xterm -rv'
wmiir write /wm/sel/ctl 'exec xterm -rv'
EOF

However, I don't always need 12 terminals. Sometimes I open 3 SSHs sometimes 16...
the number changes. If I need to write a script before I run the sessions... then
all the advantages of using WMII are lost for me :(

What really made me switch over to WMII from XFCE was this:

    http://wmii.de/index.php/WMII/DynamicWM

It says "**dynamic** window manager". That's what I loved about WMII from the
first moment I installed and run it! That it DID take care of all the window
placement for me, *especially* under special circumstances like running Cluster
SSH for example. That's what made it great, and that's why I like it so much.

Unfortunatelly I was a little dissapointed when I saw the WMII-3 snap... as all I
was happy about WMII in the first place, the "dynamic" part was gone...
I don't want to write custom scripts just to start an application, and neither
should you want your users do that since, in your very own words:

    "Dynamic window management states that it is the window manager's job
     to manage windows - and not the user's job to have to set up some
     specialized layout that will only work for one specific work scenario."

What happened to that...?

I really don't want anything that wmii doesen't already offer and that your
own words say it does offer. But seems to me that is no longer 100% true for
the upcoming version.

I just love WMII, (I even wrote a Wiki page(1) for it in the RLUG (Romanian Linux
Users Group) website, so that people can see what a nice WM this is), and all I
want is to be able to keep up with its progress, but if wmii-2.5.1 is perfect
for me (and it damn well IS) and the upcoming versions will be less than perfect...
I'll have to stick with 2.5.1 and not be able to enjoy the goodies you put in the
3+ versions... :(

(1) http://wiki.lug.ro/mediawiki/index.php/WMII, sorry no English version, if you're
interested in the translation just ask

I rest my case :)
And good luck, and great job people!!
and sorry for the long email, but I'd really like to be able to use WMII 3 as happy
as I use the 2.5.1 now :)

Thank you,
Alex