Re: [wmii] Re: IntelliJ 5.1 and wmii-2.5.2

From: Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam_AT_wmii.de>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:10:51 +0100

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:43:44PM +0200, Alexandru E. Ungur wrote:
> However, I don't always need 12 terminals. Sometimes I open 3 SSHs sometimes 16...
> the number changes. If I need to write a script before I run the sessions... then
> all the advantages of using WMII are lost for me :(
>
> What really made me switch over to WMII from XFCE was this:
>
> http://wmii.de/index.php/WMII/DynamicWM

That is our paradigm and it doesn't change. You used an
unpolished and very basic version of column layout. The future
will allow to set a maximum number of clients per column, this
allows having the larswm effect with setting column 1 to maximum
client 1 - if maximum is exceeded, a new column is forked
automatically (max client 1 is also known as exclusive column).
If a column has set the max client value to 0, it is
non-exclusive and never forks new columns. The trick which needs
to be refined is, how to write some shortcuts or tags in the
bars to apply a specific column setup on the fly which is
applied and created dynamically. But this issues are minor ones,
once you have understood the power behind the column layout with
some sane extension points.

We'll refine those things till the release in April, the core
will be finished soon, that things can settle.

Regards,