Re: [wmii] Re: IntelliJ 5.1 and wmii-2.5.2

From: Steffen Liebergeld <perl_AT_gmx.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:06:01 +0100

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:33:25 +0100, "Anselm R. Garbe" <garbeam_AT_wmii.de> said:
[ICCCM and MWMH...]
> As for MWMH and EWMH those specs don't request to be fully
> supported, because not all details fit with each other. They are
> more a collection of arbitrary hints which might or might not be
> handled in some way, and that makes those 'standards' or 'specs'
> totally messy to adapt. On the other hand, ICCCM isn't better
> either. But we already have to live with many apps following
> different ideas and standards in X world, that it is impossible to
> support all of them in a sane way. And ICCCM is at least the subset
> which works with most apps. EWMH already contains about 40 or more
> hints nobody wants to adapt actually. At least most portions of EWMH
> are indicated to work well as superset of ICCCM, thus apps should
> simply work if one does not handle them, same for the case that
> someone don't uses a WM at all, which has always been possible in X.

Its ugly nevertheless. And the bad thing is: its getting even more
complicated when 3d comes into play. What you need then is
compositemanaging parts in the wm.

>> About the libs: I know the code is readable (at least those parts I
>> read were), but it would be good if a) there would be a short
>> introduction to each library (what does it do) and b) a oneline
>> comment in front of each methode to describe it. It takes _lots_ of
>> time getting into a project that does not comment its methods (even
>> when the code is really clean and readable). It would also be good,
>> if there was a beginners guide for developers, telling the main
>> data structures and where they are defined (fuck, that should be my
>> part of the story).

> I comment only those portions of the code, which are hardly to
> understand and whenever you need background information about why
> and how it is done (never about what is done). Anyway, I plan to
> write man pages for each ixp(3) and blitz(3), once the tagbar/input
> widget is ready.

That is good as well.

--
Microsoft is simply one example of a proprietary software developer, a
software developer that tries to subjugate users to keep them divided