Re: [wmii] snap: 20060705

From: Kris Maglione <bsdaemon_AT_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 19:07:35 -0400

On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 12:56:58AM +0200, Daniel Waeber wrote:
>Hi
>
>I really like it that you try to find new ways in window-management, I
>like it that you try to stay simple and minimalistic. that made wmii so
>powerful.
>Thats why I began to wounder when I got this editable tag thing. What is
>the motivation for the editable tag bar? You can easily accomplish
>editing the tags with the wmiimenu. Or is there more behind editable tags?
>It would be more helpful to get a TagClick, TitleClick and StackClick
>or something like that when someone click inside the tag or
>stack-position on the window bar, so the event-script can handle this
>thing. I think this would be more powerful and less code as directly
>editable tag.
>Or did I not understand the way editable tag work? I did not find any
>good informations about your next steps with wmii, so perhaps it makes
>sense at some point. Please enlighten me ;)
The idea is basically stolen from Plan 9: all text should be snarfable
(selectable/copyable), plumbable and it should be editable where it seems fit.
Ideally, in wmii-4, everything you can do by keyboard shortcuts, you'll be
able to do with the keyboard and mouse (i.e. sans shortcuts), and you'll be
able to snarf/plumb any text in the wm. Editing of the tag bar will most
likely be handled by wmiirc through events, as will plumbing. The acme paper
(http://cm.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/acme.html) is a good place to start if you
want the 'philosiphy' behind it. (The plumbing paper, in the same directory,
wouldn't hurt either).

--
Kris Maglione
Pittsburgh has become a kind of knowledge aircraft carrier, its "top-guns" scattered regularly around the planet.