Re: [wmii] dmenu patches and os x issue

From: Anselm R. Garbe <arg_AT_suckless.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:57:20 +0100

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 12:28:57PM +0100, Alexis Hildebrandt wrote:
> Hello Anselm R. Garbe on Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 06:08:39PM CET, you wrote:
> > I have no experience with Apple's X11 so far due the lack of an
> > Apple computer. Can you check if there are some Lock keys
> > enabled?
>
> No, neither Caps-, Num- or Scroll-Lock are are enabled nor are any
> sticky accessibility keys.
>
> I could provide you with the output of xev if that is in any way
> helpful.

That might help a well.

> > Are dwm/wmii keypresses recognized correctly?
> Yes, wmii keypresses are recognized correctly and it works like a charm.
> I have not tried dwm yet, but would gladly do so if it helps.

I'd like to know, just out of curiosity.

> Since I just started looking at the wmii and dmenu code I am not well
> acquainted with it and was thus not able to find the differences myself
> that might hint on where the problem resides. Any ideas?

There are quite a lot differences. dmenu actively grabs the
keyboard, whereas wmii/dwm passively grab for specific shortcuts
only. Also, dwm/wmii do handle so called evil-keys, which means
that if ScrollLock or NumLock is enabled/disabled, the modifier maps
reported by Xlib are totally different, whereas dmenu does not
care about such things (actually it has not to care because it's
usable without modifiers at all).

Regards,

--
 Anselm R. Garbe >< http://suckless.org/~arg/ >< GPG key: 0D73F361