[wmii] Problems starting latest snap

From: Benjamin Berck <berck_AT_amazon.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 18:28:27 -0700

I've been using wmii for two weeks, and hate going back to Gnome now.
I'm using it very successfully on dual screens, although I had to modify
my XF86Config to change the monitor description to have double width in
millimeters so that the font size calculations in Firefox and
Thunderbird would be correct.

Now I'm on my other work computer, and I tried to do the same steps, and
wmii starts, but wmiirc hangs while doing
   wmiir write /colrules.

I compared the two installs, and I see nothing different.

The dual screens on this desktop is a bit different, but it's also
working correctly, and has nothing to do with the problem.

With the command
    ps faxwwo pid,args

I see

/bin/sh -f /usr/local/etc/wmii-3.5/wmiirc
\-- /usr/local/bin/wmiir write /colrules

I checked the line in wmiirc, and it's trying to execute:

# Column Rules
wmiir write /colrules <<!
/.*/ -> 58+42
!

And with strace, I see that wmiir is stuck waiting on

  read(3, ...)

And fd 3 points to the socket file that corresponds to the virtual file
system in /tmp/ns.$USER.:$DISPLAY/wmii

I must have missed a step, but I can't think of what it might be...

thanks,
Ben