Re: [dev] uzbl

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 20:20:10 +0200

[2009-05-23 19:42] José Manuel Pavón Álvarez <chmeee_AT_gmail.com>
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM, Jacob Todd <jaketodd422_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone tried out uzbl (http://uzbl.org)? Seems interesting, it would
> > be nice to replace firefox with this. I plan on installing it on my
> > gentoo system later today.
>
> Looks like the vimperator [1] idea.

Common is mainly the vi-like keybindings. But apart from that they are
very different.

uzbl tries to adhere to the Unix philosophy, by being just a web
browser. Bookmarks, browsing history, download manager, ... this all
should be separate programs that interact.

The project is quite interesting to see from this point of view. My
feelings say that uzbl is to web browsers something similar like dwm
was to WMs in 2006 (or Unix was for operating systems in the 70s): It
shows that there is a different way to do it, where most people think
nobody would want to walk this way.

Have a look at the thread in the arch linux forum [0] -- it's worth
reading and thinking about it!

[0] http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=70700

meillo