Re: [dev] [OT] Xorg use 200MB RAM

From: Kris Maglione <maglione.k_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 11:34:52 -0400

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 05:03:06PM +0800, bill lam wrote:
>Often after using mplayer, Xorg held a lot of memory up to 200MB, and
>it did not release without restart. Does this memory leak come from
>mplayer or Xorg? Does anyone have similar experience?

Programs usually don't release memory until a restart, but that
doesn't mean it's leaked. If you open a new mplayer instance, it
shouldn't grow again. My guess is that mplayer allocates large
server-side images. If you're running a compositor, it surely
does the same. Try switching video output (-vo ...) drivers.

--
Kris Maglione
The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand.  The ordinary