Re: [dev] Suckless (*NIX|*BSD) Distribution?

From: Thomas Gallen <kaori.hinata_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:02:38 -0400

Are you referring to manual installation of packages or using the
package management system to install packages in alternate locations? If
it's the latter:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/amd64/187813
(Though I admit I do the former so I can't say I've tried these.)

If it's the former though, I've always just created a directory
somewhere as a sandbox and created a file in /etc/env.d to set up my
path, library locations, etc.

I don't know how apt and friends handle alternate installation
directories so I can't comment on them. However, from what I hear,
installing packages in alternate directories does appear to be a
place where Gentoo's portage has fumbled.

Thomas