Re: [dev] Suckless (*NIX|*BSD) Distribution?

From: Michael P. Soulier <msoulier_AT_digitaltorque.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 10:10:57 -0400

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Thomas Gallen<kaori.hinata_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you referring to manual installation of packages or using the
> package management system to install packages in alternate locations? If
> it's the latter:

I develop software for a production system that is often lagging
behind the mainstream. So, on my laptop and desktop I often have to
build older versions of Python, Django, sqlite, etc., to match what's
in production. To do that I just build custom versions of Python like

./configure --prefix=$HOME/my/custom/location

I've had issues with getting python-sqlite working on Gentoo though,
with anything but the version packaged in the portage tree. The
pysqlite2 developers weren't much help.

> If it's the former though, I've always just created a directory
> somewhere as a sandbox and created a file in /etc/env.d to set up my
> path, library locations, etc.

I almost need multiple boxes to target each release I'm working on,
but I can't afford that, so I have scripts to set up environment
variables to pick the correct install of Python.

Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier_AT_digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein