Re: [dev] dwm development continues NOW

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 04:42:23 +0200

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 3:28 AM, Jack Woehr<jax_AT_well.com> wrote:
> Enno Boland (Gottox) wrote:
>>
>> 2009/6/21 Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>:
>>

>>> Excessive and naive obsession with code reuse is one of the major
>>> sources of gratuitous complexity in the software industry.
>>>

> Ooh! Nice. "Having an idea and being able to execute it in code"
> is in 75% of cases much more serendipitous than rote code reuse.
>
> Besides, code reuse means usually "using someone else's code"
> and "using someone else's code" is often the cause of "sucks".

This needs to be qualified: it depends on *who else's* code you use.
Much crap is produced by people that can't recognize their own
limitations and reinvent square wheels when some of the best minds in
the world already have produced perfectly round wheels.

Of course there are fewer round wheels out there than most people
thinks, but to put a very clear example: if you have a choice between
writing your own code or using ken's code, I'm quite certain every
single time you should pick ken's code.

There are perhaps only handful of hackers in the world of ken's
caliber, but everyone that cares about not polluting the world with
more crap should be well aware of their work and take advantage of
reusing it as much as possible.

Peace

uriel