Re: [dev] Suckless (*NIX|*BSD) Distribution?

From: Jorge Vargas <jorge.vargas_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 23:29:56 -0400

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 12:21 AM, Antony Jepson<antonyat_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure if this has been asked before (although I did do a quick
> search of <dwm_AT_suckless.org>) but what distributions do you guys use on
> a daily basis?  I recently built a new computer and I'm looking for a
> good OS to install on there.
>
> I've been eyeing Crux lately but maybe Gentoo would be a better choice?
> If it makes a difference, I currently use Arch.
>
> Comments or suggestions for a (quality|suckless|KISS) distribution
> (doesn't matter if *BSD or *NIX) would be appreciated.  I read about
> pancake's distribution [1] and it definitely sounds interesting.

I totally agree with Anselm I'm using ubuntu for the desktop, because
it *just works* I don't agree with most of it's design decision and I
totally disagree with the "code for the idiots" but oh well. At this
point in time it doesn't gets in my way and I'm happy with that.

I have to totally agree with the Gentoo is not for racers part. In
fact for servers if I ever manage a server again. I'll probably run
gentoo on it. Mainly becuase
1- you install only what you want
2- you build from source (this is good! for security)
3- SELinux is really good in gentoo.
4- Going to dev versions of needed (for patches for example) doesn't
means you need to wait 6 months for it.