Re: [dev] dmenu / enso

From: Donald Chai <donald.chai_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 01:59:43 -0700

On Jun 22, 2009, at 12:45 AM, Kevin Nagel wrote:

> Another neat thing is you could open, e.g. open openoffice writer,
> type in "2+3/5", highlight, type in enso-terminal "calc this", and
> the result replaces the "2+3/5" string in your document. They claim
> that you can do this with other programs as well. I believe I can
> program the parser as a unix command, but when it is run from dmenu,
> then I need to specify arguments.

Replacing the "2+3/5" in the document with 2 or 2.6 might be tricky.

Despite all the excuses from other list members, I think the bottom
line is that there simply isn't much interest in all these fancy
features (read: bloat). I tried QuickSilver on the Mac, but got
annoyed at the fact that this gloried program launcher used up 100M of
RAM, and switched to Namely.

I would admit that an interesting extension to dmenu would be the
ability to provide possible completions after each space, i.e.:
- open dmenu, list of commands shows up
- I type "opensshwi<TAB><SPACE>"
- dmenu calls getcompletions("opensshwindow"), which returns a list of
my favorite hosts: "suckless.org" and "whitehouse.gov"
- dmenu displays said list
- I type "s<TAB><ENTER>"
- dmenu prints "opensshwindow suckless.org" to stdout