Re: [dev] surf: web browser on archlinux

From: Uriel <lost.goblin_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 03:10:20 +0200

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Claudio M. Alessi<smoppy_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 05:59:01PM +0200, Uriel wrote:
>> You guess wrong.
> Since your problem is a correct behave of ^W an such "unix" shortcuts I think
> I guessed right.

That is *one* of my problems, nowhere I said that that was my only
issue, and certainly I have many more important criteria to select a
web browser.

>> This is a bug and a sign of how much FireFox sucks.
> You are likely right; though it's obvious that you can still *fully* customize
> it as you like (or, there are no browsers around which can satisfy you as
> FireFox does, speaking about UI of course).

As others have pointed out, FF 'customizability' is a joke, to change
anything is a pain, often you need to use dozens of extensions which
often conflict with each other and it is all pain and misery even for
something as pathetically simple as providing minimally non-braindead
keybindings.

>> Actually, that is impossible, FireFox is fundamentally incompatible with the
>> kind of software that I want.
> As far as I can tell, FireFox is incompatible with the kind of software
> everybody here want. Though it's the only one which can fit everyone needs ATM.

>> The design of Chrome is a bit closer to sanity, but still a long way to go,
>> at the moment I really like Net-Surf http://www.netsurf-browser.org/ it is
>> the only browser around written in a sane language that doesn't depend on any
>> braindead toolkit and has the potential to be usable.
> I'll never going to use a web browser which I'm not able to install on
> GNU/Linux and NetBSD (or any other unix-like OS) with the same ease.

I have no clue what this is supposed to mean, and please stop refering
to GNU/Linux, it hurts my brain, unless you are RMS...

> Also the UI is very important for me, often more than efficiency. I can't use a browser
> which don't allow me to have a customizable UI like Vim

God help us, vim has got one of the most atrociously insanely awful
user interfaces ever conceived by man. The thin has got so many
fucking options that it could fill a whole encyclopedia, I doubt any
single person knows and understands the function of even 5% of all the
options and commands.

Vim is a textbook example of how *never* *ever* design a program's
user interface.

uriel