Re: [dev] number of visible windows?

From: Preben Randhol <randhol_AT_pvv.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:39:42 +0200

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 17:49:13 -0500
Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Preben Randhol<randhol_AT_pvv.org>
> wrote:
> > So what you are saying is that if a problem is making the code more
> > complex one define that this is not a problem and ignore it?
>
> Yes.

Hope you are not doing any real life coding...

> > It is like saying all chemical/physical models should be ideal and
> > sod the real world if the simulations don't add up to reality.
>
> This is, in fact, how science progresses. Cf. the ideal gas law, in
> fact.

Exactly, because the ideal solution doesn't manage to describe the
problem.

> If you require weird functional acrobatics to manage your workflow,
> the problem probably isn't the window manager.

So per-tag is weird and bizarre? Not that every time one go to tag
X one need to press Modx-M and then when returning to tag Y you have to
press Modx-t? Out of 365 days per year, let say one use dwm 300 and
changing tag about 30 times per day. That comes to 90 000 useless
keystrokes. Is this the "dynamic" you talked about?

If you have a huge screen with high resolution you probably can work in
tiled only, but not so one a notebook or a smaller monitor.

> And this is the right answer. Keep the window manager small and
> ideal, and let people do bizarre things to it outside of the main
> tree.

Well, I would say that support for multiple monitors should then not be
part of dwm, but be a patchwork as it is bizarre to need multiple
hardware when we have tags.

Right answer is to make the code readable and modular.